Freelance writing / biography service
A freelance writing service is available for clients within the music industry including artists, record labels, magazines, social media, music promotion companies, studios and surrounding scenes.The main focus and area of expertise is within the soul music history arena but commissioned projects in related genres are also considered. The nature of work undertaken includes full book projects, biographies, articles, website / social media copy and column series writing. A range of options can be offered for book manuscript provision such as ghost-writing, co-authorship or independent work. Briefs are also taken to assist in the presentation of vinyl and CD releases, through providing historical research and written content for liner notes and other supportive materials.
About E. Mark Windle
During a twenty-five year career in the National Health Service, I was the sole or primary author of several clinical study papers published in peer-reviewed and internationally recognised medical journals. I have also had a lifelong passion for music, collecting rare soul vinyl records and original memorabilia from the industry. Research-based writing was therefore to prove a useful transferable skill when applied to my interest in soul music history. I am now immersed full-time in literary aspects of the music business through freelance writing and as owner of the independent specialist bookstore A Nickel And A Nail. Links have been forged with key individuals within the music industry and soul scenes in the UK, Europe and USA. I also have access to a wide range of related historical data and memorabilia, including that which is not in the public domain.
A portfolio of previous work is outlined below. If you would like to know how I can help with your potential project or business requirements, or to discuss timescales and rates, please get in touch via the “Contact Us” page.
- Book (biography): The Tempests: A Carolina Soul Story (2019); biography of an R&B band from Charlotte, North Carolina
- Book (biography): House of Broken Hearts (2018); an exploration of the alternative soul music industry in 1960s Nashville and a biographical collection of recording artists
- Book (biography): Rhythm Message (2015); biographical collection of recording artists from the southern states
- Book (biography): It’s Better To Cry (2013); collection of soul and beach music recording artists from the south eastern states
- Books (other): Soul Reflections (2014); an illustrated book presenting aesthetic aspects of soul music picture cover 45s from across the globe
- Website blog activities: related to soul music book project updates, reviews, opinion and reprints. Available at https://a-nickel-and-a-nail.myshopify.com/blogs/news
- Third party website articles: “Of Soul Music, Book Writing and Lost Histories” (2018). Parts 1 and 2; An author profile article for the Soul And Mod Directory website. Available at https://soulandmod.com/soul-author-mark-windle-soul-music/
- Third party magazine articles: Soul Up North; a series of chapter reprints from my previous book projects.
- Music Industry: liner notes and research assistance for Ace/Kent Records on “Bob Holme’s Nashville Soul” (CD KEND463) and “Lost Without You; The Best of Kent Ballads, Volume 2” (CD KEND439).
- Non-music related publications: clinical research papers on nutrition and dietetic themes can be accessed by searching under E. Mark Windle at medical journal database sites, including Wiley Online Library and Pubmed.